For some reason Christmas is one of the biggest lingerie shopping seasons of the years. A time when weary, confused men stumble through lingerie departments picking out that perfect set for their other half. I think it comes down to the old ‘birthdays and Christmas’ rule. Whatever the cause, this post is all about celebrating YOU! So that should you find yourself staring at some lace and silk on Christmas Day, you’ll feel excited, not terrified. So, here you go mama, get ready to feel confident in lingerie.
I get why you may not think you have a ‘lingerie body’, I really do. After pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, a lack of sleep, age etc etc, it’s easy for many to balk at the idea of feeling sexy in their undies. You need to know that lingerie isn’t just made for lingerie models, it is made for all sorts of women, including women like you and me. The mums. Your curves, your lumpy bits, your stretchmarks are nothing to be ashamed of. They are yours and all part of the story of your glorious body.
As I mum, my body confidence hit an all time low after having MG, even though my husband saw me in a completely different way. I’ve had to train myself to love my body again, after years of not. I quickly learned how my body confidence, affected my husband too, who felt frustrated I couldn’t see in myself what he could. So, regardless of your body type or ‘imperfections’, if this mama can get her sexy back, so can you.
“You need to know that lingerie isn’t just made for lingerie models, it is made for all sorts of women, including women like you and me. The mums.”
I recently began thinking about a time I truly learned body confidence. Before I had MG I used to be a member of a dance and pilates studio. My favourite class was the ‘Pussycat Dolls Workout’. Which went a little something like this. After stretching, you’d put on high heels and walk the length of the studio, while looking at yourself in the mirror. You would watch yourself work it, slapping your thighs, grabbing your hips and boobs…loving your body.
The first time I did the class, I felt so ashamed of my body, even though this was pre-motherhood and there was nothing on me. Yet, there was another lady in the class, a plus sized body, who oozed confidence and radiated nothing but gorgeousness, confidence, fun and joy. Don’t worry after a couple of classes, I was on that.
I’ve just enjoyed my first month breastfeeding free, after weaning Baby Lolo in October. I’ve celebrated this new season (hurrah, I have my body back) with a beautiful and luxe silk lingerie set from luxury lingerie brand Mimi Holliday. It’s polar opposite from my nursing bras, no clips, fine lace, super soft silk and utterly divine.
When I first decided to write this post, I was going to go with still life shots of the set, but I decided to show me a regular mum, stretch marks, rolls, eczema and all in my ‘lingerie body’ best to hopefully encourage you. As I took the photos, I had to focus on the parts of my body I love, namely my decollatage and booty (one booty shot has been deemed “a bit much” by Hubstar, but is making its way to ‘That’ folder of me on his phone – ha!
“When I first decided to write this post, I was going to go with still life shots of the set, but I decided to show me a regular mum, stretch marks, rolls, eczema and all in my ‘lingerie body’ best to hopefully encourage you.”
HOW TO ROCK A ‘LINGERIE BODY’
- Spend some time looking at yourself in the mirror. What you think on the inside, is very different from what people see when they look at you, especially your other half.
- While you’re looking in the mirror, say good things about your body. It’s not fat, it’s curves, it’s soft, full, juicy… positive words that will give you a boost.
- Define what your favourite bodypart is. What do you love? Your bum, your boobs, your thighs. Keep that in mind and work it, reflecting that in your lingerie choices
- Create a Pussycat Doll runway in your home, chuck on a pair of heels and facing a mirror, work it to some banging music, while looking at and touching your lady lumps.
- Think about what you would say to your best friend if she was showing you her ‘lingerie body’ I doubt you’d say “You look awful – cover up!” most likely you’d say “Wow babe, you look amazing!” and mean it too. So, look at yourself in the same way, you are your own bestfriend
- Whether its bought for you or you go out and get it yourself. Get some gorgeous lingerie on you mama and experiment with styles and colours. Enjoy the experience of getting dressed up or should I say dressed down, and the reaction you get when you wear it.
So, that’s it. Understand that each and everyone of you is gorgeous, you really are and the moment you understand that, the moment you have a ‘lingerie body’. May your festivities be extra special as you kick of the New Year with a bang (ooh matron)!
Disclaimer Thank you to Mimi Holliday for gifting me this beautiful lingerie set for the purpose of this post, all views are my own.